Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Change of Plans

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I was extremely tired from staying up an hour past my bedtime last night. So much so that I was in a deep enough sleep during my nap to wake up at 2:30 and think I had slept through the next day for work. I started panicking and trying to remember what day it was and if it was 2:30am or pm.

On my shift this morning, I took over the Christmas delivery and was in solitude with the radio for the last hour and half. It was methodically relaxing. I got issued a polar fleece from work today. It is so extraordinarily warm, but I don’t know if I get to keep it or not. So far every uniform item they give out has been packaged and new. I don’t think they take them back once worn. The thing is as snug and a bug in a rug : ) I was a bit surprised they still told me to take one, but it had been ordered for me the previous week.

I went straight home, craving nap. Just as I was about to set my alarm clock, my phone rang. It was Mr. Kester calling to say his flight to Dublin had been canceled and he had been rerouted through Paris. It would be at least midnight before he got back to Galway. He wanted to apologize for not being able to make it for dinner, and ask if I could e-mail Karen (Mrs. Kester) the change of plans since she would still be asleep. I agreed, only to find that our internet is suddenly not working. Thankfully, we have a backup! I guess the internet stick was good for more than just two weeks. I just wish I could sell the stick before I leave, but so far no takers.

When I got up from my nap I set about cleaning and writing. Monica called and asked me to meet her at the grocery. I went along to see how her trip to Dublin with Amnesty had been and to pick up some tomatoes and zucchini. I put the pork chops in the oven. They had marinated in whole seed mustard, worstechire and balsamic over night.

We strolled the aisles of the store just talking about this and that. I’d like to add that food coloring here comes in blue and red. They must be bought separately as far as I can tell, and I find this strange and inefficient.

Monica had a lot of heavy things, so I grabbed a handle to her bag and she the other. I went about half way then parted.

When I got back, the pork chops had burned a little, but Zach had gotten them out. More the sauce than the meat. I set about fixing the green bean casserole for tomorrow. I made my own fried onions with flour and oil. I ended up leaving it in the oven longer than it should have been, so the beans seem a little dried out, but I guess I can add some milk to them when I heat it up tomorrow.

For the side dish with the pork chops, I wanted to make stuffed peppers. They always look so pretty. I had a yellow, red and orange pepper that I hollowed out. I grilled zucchini, tomatoes and red onion with pepper olive oil and balsamic. I spooned that into the peppers and grilled a little longer with the addition of more dressing and mozzarella cheese. Once the cheese was melted I considered them ready. It was actually delicious. The meat was a bit tough, but the flavor was great!

I spent the remainder of the evening empting the cabinets and cleaning up my bedroom and the kitchen. I left the floor and the sink for Zach who had been watching TV.

On TV was actually a show about a British guy visiting different places in America with a theme on environmentalism. It was Borat-esque, but legitimate. No wonder people get bad ideas about Americans. I, myself, was cringing and most of the stuff they showed. It’s a shame. Most of it was true, but tended to be one-sided.

No comments:

Post a Comment