Monday, October 26, 2009

Kids these days...

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Even thought Ryan was in town, I had to work the full Saturday in order to have Sunday off, which is a less busy day anyway. When Zach and I took our break I ordered a chicken pesto sandwich. When Mei, the one in charge when John is gone, heard this she leaned over to me and said, “Pesto is too strong. It looks like someone chewed it up and spit it out. You sure you want that stuff”? I laughed, but stuck with my order. As it turned out their pesto wasn’t a very good one, but I loved the strawberry milkshake. It was delicious. All their milkshakes are good, but sadly not very thick.

Back on the streets, Zach and I saw a little boy playing guitar with his father. The kid was better than the dad, but their sound together was beautiful. There was another guy playing “Ain’t no sunshine when you’re gone” on the jazz saxophone – an instrument I learned was a woodwind. Never knew that.

There were some kids in park setting off firecrackers – thought it was the aerosol cans again till a boy said, “If one lands between your legs …run”. While we were talking to him, a fight started between two 12 year-old girls. The whole square of teenagers (about 100 kids) ran to form a circle. I saw one of the girls when they had dispersed thanks to another firecracker going off, and she was all bloodied up. However, she was still walking around with her friends.

I was awed. The kid asked if we’d ever been here for an Irish Halloween. That’s when they really get out the firecrackers and set cars on fire…the only time I’ve known people to set cars on fire is after a National Championship. I’m kind of curious, kind of scared of the 31st now. It’s a combination of the teenagers, the pub crowd and the club crowd. Should make for a crazy night.

Since I’d eaten my meal of the day Eddie Rockets style I fixed some pesto sun-dried tomato and rigatoni for Ryan and thawed the bread Monica and I made. It turned out to be so tasty that I had to join in with a few bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment