Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Last day in Kilkenny

This is for you dad:


I just watched a German put down a good sized bowl of tomatoes, onions and garlic then a whole box of spaghetti with a mushroom cream sauce with half a stick of butter minced on top. I don't think I've ever seen anyone eat that much. What is more impressive is that he cooked it all himself.

Zach and I cooked enchiladas. It surprised me when I found an Old El Paso packet in the eurospar (grocery store) today when I ducked out of the rain for a bit. I picked up a tomato, chicken cheese sandwich and some Pringles for lunch ringing in at about 4 euro. So approximately 6 dollars. I've currently been sitting at the kitchen table with a Canadian, Marcus, and a Californian, Jessica. We've been talking for quite awhile now...like I said - another benefit of a hostel if you're into meeting new people.

After seeing the cows coming into Kilkenny and being close to the countryside, I've been thinking about how sad I am that I'm missing the Cleveland County Fair. However, I didn't even get to go last year because of rain (a word I'm really starting to hate). It was sunny this afternoon in Kilkenny though. If you get a chance to go to the fair this year, do me a favor and go!

I must of looked really tired this morning when I set out to job hunt. My appointment was at 12:30, so I got up at 8:30 and set out at 9. I was walking by some construction and a very nice looking old man in a gruff voice spoke up and said "you look tired, very tired already". I smiled. What do you say to that? Well darn, let me go back and get some more sleep? I actually did wake up too early. (I hate when that happens, I value every minute of sleep I get in the mornings. I'm one of those people who gets up, quickly does what needs to be done in the mornings then goes back to sleep even for 5-10 min. if I have time). I passed out CVs (resumes) to about 5 hotels then made my way to Newpark. I was about an hour ahead of schedule. I had been walking rather quickly since it was quite chilly this morning. I walked down a road I had not yet explored and found the grocery store where I stocked up on meal for the day items. When I got out of my second interview (the food service job) it was raining pretty hard. However, by the time I got my rain jacket and umbrella out and walked one block the sun came out and the rain stopped. It was warm for most of the day after 1pm, but still a little chilly in the shade.

I'm still getting accustomed to looking the correct way before crossing streets, especially in traffic circles. Look left, right then left again is really what must be done. They drive on the opposite side of the car and road here. Even as a pedestrian it makes a difference in navigation safely around.

No comments:

Post a Comment